Violence and unrest have engulfed the Tigray region of Ethiopia leading to egregious human rights abuses and a devastating humanitarian crisis.
Ethiopian and Eritrean federal armed forces, forces affiliated with the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and Ethiopian regional and militia forces have all taken part in the conflict.
Reports indicate that war crimes, such as the indiscriminate shelling of civilian towns and villages, extrajudicial killings, at least one large-scale massacre, looting, and sexual violence, have all occurred in Tigray over the past few months.
People in the Tigray region face starvation and a collapsed healthcare system. Humanitarian actors and independent journalists have largely been denied access to the affected regions.
Please join me in taking action by downloading this Parliamentary petition, getting your friends and family to sign, and mailing it to my office. Although online petitions can be tabled in the House of Commons, we believe that in this case the MOST EFFECTIVE way to get the attention of Parliament is through physical petitions with physical signatures. You do not need to fill up the whole petition sheet. If you print the petition document double-sided, it will have my office mailing address on the back. Simply print, sign, gather additional signatures if you wish, and then fold the piece of paper and put it in the mail. For mail to the House of Commons, no postage is required. CLICK HERE to download the petition.
We are calling on the Government of Canada to:
- Immediately call for an end to violence and for restraint from all sides/parties involved in the Tigray conflict.
- Immediately call for humanitarian access to the region and for independent monitoring to be allowed.
- Immediately call for international investigations into credible reports of war crimes and gross violations of human rights law.
- Engage directly and consistently with the Ethiopian and Eritrean Governments on this conflict.
- Promote short, medium, and long-term elections monitoring in Ethiopia.
Like this to spread the word
Share this Petition